GZG50 Headlight conversion for use in LHD country

pugwonk
Site Admin

GZG50 Headlight conversion for use in LHD country

Post by pugwonk »

Has anyone looked into converting GZG50 headlights for use in countries that drive on the left? I know it's possible to buy the LHD units from Amayama but they're over $1000 and I'm hoping to try and do something cheaper.

I watched this video and he used a company called Headlight Conversions.nl - looking at their price list they seem to be much cheaper than replacing the lights - €100-€200.

The Century isn't on their price list (perhaps unsurprisingly) so I've emailed them. I will report back if they can do the conversion and how much it costs, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has any other ideas.
charles150

Re: GZG50 Headlight conversion for use in LHD country

Post by charles150 »

Pardon my lack of knowledge but how are RHD and LHD headlights any different? They point straight ahead...
pugwonk
Site Admin

Post by pugwonk »

charles150 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:20 pm Pardon my lack of knowledge but how are RHD and LHD headlights any different? They point straight ahead...
The lights are usually angled slightly away from the oncoming traffic - there's a bit more info here. Most countries have laws saying that you have to have the correctly adjusted headlights - I live in the USA (which does not have such a law) but I don't want to blind oncoming traffic. :)

Chris
jjsteffens

Post by jjsteffens »

Have you heard back from Headlight Conversions yet? Or did you perhaps find an alternative solution to this?
I'm expecting delivery of my Century in a month. And I need the headlights to be replaced/converted to LHD variants to pass European laws.
Amayama doesn't seem to have the original LHD headlight units in stock anymore, so I'm looking for a plan B.
jjsteffens

Post by jjsteffens »

Headlight Conversion never replied to my mail.

I've mailed a bunch of partshops around the world whether they had the LHD/European headlamps for sale, and only heard back from this one German shop https://www.online-teile.com/. They initially didn't have it in stock, but assured me they could deliver it if I placed an order.

Two weeks later and almost €1200 lighter, I received the LHD lamps! (part numbers 81170-40050 & 81130-40050)
E-Marking included
E-Marking included
20240527_231132-min.jpg
My Century arrives in 2~3 weeks. I'll take a new picture once they're installed.
Oostayen

Post by Oostayen »

Hi JJ Steffens,

I am in the process of acquiring a 2008 Century from Japan and want to import it in the Netherlands. I understand you found a set of left hand headlights. Congratulations and thanks for sharing your info where to get them. In Germany. Was it compulsory to install a rear foglight in your Century? The Century does not seem to have them. Did you import the car yourself or did you use a broker?
Oostayen

Post by Oostayen »

Hi JJ Steffens,

Hoe bereik ik jou Privé? De reply button werkt niet op dit forum
Groet, Jacques van Oostayen