Rear window channel rust repair

districtAERO

Rear window channel rust repair

Post by districtAERO »

A common rust spot on the GZG50 is the channel around the bottom portion of the rear window, especially in the lower corners. Mine has a little bit of bubbling on both sides and a very faint trail of rusty water marks leading down over the rear fenders, so I'm starting to consider getting this taken care of.

If I remember correctly, the issue is the outer chrome moulding that runs around the outside edges of the glass; it is nearly impossible to take it off without damaging it, so a new one is required. Not only that, but given the size of the new part, shipping is a nightmare, especially outside of Japan.

I might have found a source for cheaper shipping, though, so am now looking into what parts I would need. Highlighted in the image below is what I assume is the chrome moulding, so would need that along with the three other items (clips and gaskets) that make up the top four rows of the list on the right:

rear_moulding.JPG

I assume the rear glass needs to come out to make this repair, so that would also necessitate the following gaskets:

rear_moulding_2.JPG

Am I understanding this correctly? Has anyone had this done and can offer any tips? I'm sure its not a cheap endeavor...
pugwonk
Site Admin

Re: Rear window channel rust repair

Post by pugwonk »

Not sure if you're on the Facebook group but there was a thread about this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1547591 ... ch/?q=rust

I can send some more of the thread if you're not on FB!

Chris
Attachments
281850031_10160199513667292_1978799334172531901_n.jpg
districtAERO

Re: Rear window channel rust repair

Post by districtAERO »

Thanks pugwonk! I didn't realize there was a search feature in FB groups which helps a bunch.