URGENT - A/C won't power on - ideas?

larrysing63

URGENT - A/C won't power on - ideas?

Post by larrysing63 »

Greetings.

My compressor had a bearings problem, bought a spare engine to get a replacement.
Yesterday, before the replacement was installed, my A/C unit just died on me while running. Powered off.

The mechanic has the car now, put the new compressor on there. But the A/C still will not power on.

I expected the power failure was related to the compressor issue.
But now with the compressor replaced and functional, it still won't power on.

Assuming it is not a fuse (he's checking) - anyone have any ideas? What could cause it to die like that?
What can we check? Thanks much.
ianseyer

Re: URGENT - A/C won't power on - ideas?

Post by ianseyer »

I don't mean this to be condescending - I have driven around for tens of minutes (in hot texas heat) thinking my AC had failed.

Push all the buttons - of them turns the AC on or off entirely.
larrysing63

Post by larrysing63 »

Thanks, yeah, we know the button that turns the system on. It does not turn it on. :)

Something in the system is preventing the control panel from turning on.

We've seen something about the "ambient temperature sensor" being a problem that causes this, so we are looking at this now.
pugwonk
Site Admin

Post by pugwonk »

That's actually a pretty good idea I think - I'm not 100% sure about the Century but in other cars I've had the AC button just does nothing at all when the temperature is too low. I believe some of them also have temperature sensors to detect ice on the condensor?
larrysing63

Post by larrysing63 »

Turns out it was a fuse. They suspected a short in the wiring in the compressor, but I told them the compressor had just been replaced.

Cost me $700 to get the compressor installed and the A/C unit fixed total. Not awful!

All better! WHEW!
pugwonk
Site Admin

Post by pugwonk »

Glad to hear it! Does this mean the compressor might not have been broken after all or do we not mention that idea? :)
larrysing63

Post by larrysing63 »

Well, I had replaced the compressor before because it was broken due to bad bearings. So the "replacement" compressor is fine. The A/C is blowing ice cold now, like all Toyotas do!